Designation : Professor
MBBS (1994) from The All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
MD(1997) from The All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
DM(2001) in Endocrinology Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India
Endocrine Society of India
Indian Thyroid Society
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (FRCPE)
1) Prof V. Ramalingswamy Award for being the Best Intern for the Year 1994-95 at AIIMS, New Delhi
2) Dr.PN Berry Scholarship for Higher Specialist training in Endocrinology in the United Kingdom 2005-6.
3) State Teacher Award ( Cash Prize,Medal and Certificate) 2018 under the category of “ Medical Education” from Dr N Chandrababu Naidu, Hon’ble Chief Minister of the State of Andhra Pradesh.
4) Dr Subhashini and Dr Kamalakar Reddy Endowment Award and Gold Medal for Best Original Article published from the Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati for the year 2015.
|Book||Chapter title||Page Nos|
|A Case Based Guide to Clinical Endocrinology by Terry F Davies Editor, Humana Press||Vaikkakara S, Arun CS, James RA. Management and Investigation of Acute Hypercalcemia||183-186|
|ESI Manual of Clinical Endocrinology 2nd Edition, Sarita Bajaj, editor in Chief, Jaypee
|Suresh V, Reddy AP. Disorders of Growth Hormone Excess||453-460|
|ESI Manual of Clinical Endocrinology 2nd Edition, Sarita Bajaj, editor in Chief, Jaypee
|Suresh V, Reddy AP. Hypopituitarism||482-480|
|Ramadan and Diabetes, by Jabbar PK, Gomez R,Das DV,, Siddiqui MA, Editors, Knowledge Bridge Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai||Vaikkakara S, Patil A. Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes||59-65|
As the First Author or the Corresponding Author :
1) Chaitanya PSK, Suresh V, Mohan A, Sachan A, Sree Divya B,Raghavendra K, Manideepti D.Pulmonary Function in Hypothyroidism before and after Restoration of Euthyroid Status. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2020; 62 : 51-56
2) Bachimanchi B, Vaikkakara S, Sachan A, Kumar GP, Venkatanarasu A, Chaitanya PSK, Sridivya B, Poojari R. Effect of Adequate Thyroid Hormone Replacement on the Hypothalamo-Pituitary- Gonadal Axis in Premenopausal Women with Primary Hypothyroidism. Eur Thyroid J 2019;8 : 152-58
3) Patlolla S , Vaikkakara S, Sachan A,Venkatanarasu A,Bachimanchi B, Bitla A, Settipalli S, Pathiputturu S, Sugali RN, Chiri S. Heterogenous origins of Hyperandrogenism in the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in relation to Body Mass Index and Insulin Resistance.Gynaecol Endocrinol 2018; 34 : 238-42
4) Vaikkakara S, Raj MN, Sachan A, Mohan A,Vengamma B, Rao PS, Mukka A, Sravani C, Reddy AP. Impact of Severity of Illness on the Function of the Hypothalamo- Pituitary- Gonadal Axis in Postmenopausal Women with Acute Severe Illness : Implications for Predicting Disease Outcome. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2017; 21: 738- 44.
5) Sirigiri S, Vaikkakara S, Sachan A, Srinivasarao P, Epuri S, Anantarpu S. Mukka A, Chokkapu SR, Venkatanarasu A, Poojari R. Correction of Hypothyroidism leads to Changes in Lean Body Mass without altering Insulin resistance. Eur Thyroid J 2016; 5: 247-52.
6) Sunil E, Suresh V, Sachan A, Rajitha D, Sarala S, Arun M, Sailaja A. Growth and Skeletal Maturation in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. J Clin Sci Res 2016; 5 : 20-27
7) Raj MN, Suresh V, Mukka A, Reddy A, Sachan A, Mohan A, Vengamma B, Srinivasa Rao PVLN. Evaluation of activity of hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis in postmenopausal women suffering from severe acute illness. Indian J Med Res.143; 66-71
8) Rajitha D, Suresh V, Sunil E, Arun M Srinivasarao C,Rajagopal G.Initial Catch-up growth in children with hypothyroidism on thyroxine replacement therapy . J Clin Sci Res 2015; 4: 199-204.
9) Anantharpu S,Vaikkakara S, Sachan A, Phaneendra BV, Suchitra MM, Reddy AP, Epuri S,Mukka A, Vemvakam D. Effect of thyroid hormone replacement on glycated hemoglobin levels in non diabetic subjects with overt hypothyroidism. Arch Endocrinol Metab.2015; 59: 495-500
10) Potham SK, Vaikkakara S, Sachan A, Rao SP, Kalawat TC, Ravi P, Sunil E, Rajitha D, Arun M, Sailaja A. Vitamin B12 levels are not affected by radioiodine ablation of the thyroid. Endocrine Regulations 2014; 48: 77-85
11) Suresh V, Reddy A, Mohan A, Rajgopal G, Satish P, Harinarayan C,Sachan A. High Prevalence of Spirometric abnormalities in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab.2011; 17: 71-75.
12) Suresh V, Kumar E, Reddy PA, Harinarayan CV, Rajagopal G, Satish P, Sachan A. Cost-effectiveness and other tangible benefits of chemiluminescence immunoassay in comparison to radioimmunoassay and immunoradiometric assay. Thyroid Res Prac.2011;8: 11- 23
13) Vaikkakara S, Al – Ozairi E,Lim E, Advani A, Ball SC, Andrew James R, Quinton R. The investigation and management of severe hyperandrogenism pre and post menopause: non-tumor disease is strongly associated with metabolic syndrome and typically responds to insulin sensitization with metformin.Gynaecol Endocrinol.2009; 24: 87-92
Original Research Articles as Co-author : n=22
1) Nitesh PNB, Reddy VV, Gavini SK, Vaikkakara S, Chandrahasan C, Rao MB, Varun D. Assessment of functional outcome of patients undergoing surgery for chronic pancreatitis : A prospective study. Ann Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 2020; 24: 162-67.
2) Manthri RG,Ajit N, Vaikakkara S, Vijaylakshmi Devi B, Kalawat T. Unilateral Graves Disease : The Lesser Known.Indian J Nucl Med.2019; 34: 96-8
3) Nimmanapalli HD, Pasupulet i P, Vakkakara S, Srinivasa Rao PVLN. A study of nontraditional biochemical markers and their relation to the level of fasting glycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Turk J Endocrinol Metab 2018; 22: 225-230.
4) Aggarwal P, Kadiyala S, Suresh V, Chowhan A, Lakshmi AY, Vijaylakshmi B.Application of Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound recommendations for fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules. J Clin Sci Res 2017; 6: 10-17.
5) Jena A, Patnayak R, Suresh V, Kalawat TC, Phaneendra BV, Lakshmi AY, Sachan A. Parathyroid Adenomas: A case series and clinicopathological study from a tertiary care centre in South India. Med J DY Patil Univ 2016; 9: 495-98.
6) Lois KB, Santhakumar A, Vaikkakara S, Mathew S, Long A, Johnson SJ, Peaston R, Neely RDJ, Richardson DL, Graham J, Lennard TWJ, Bliss R, Miller M, Ball SG, Pearce SHS, Woods DR, Quinton R.Phaeochromocytoma and ACTH- dependant Cushing’s Syndrome : tumour CRF secretion can mimic pituitary Cushing’s Disease.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf.) 2016; 84: 177-84.
7) Jena A, Patnayak R, Prakash J, Sachan A, Suresh V, Lakshmi AY. Malignancy in Solitary Thyroid nodule :A Clinicopathological Evaluation. Indian J Endocr Metab.2015; 19: 498-503
8) Reddy SV, Suchitra MM, Pradeep V, Alok S, Suresh V, Bitla AR, Srinivasa Rao PVLN.Ischaemia- modified Albumin in overt and subclinical hypothyroidism. J Endocrinol Invest 2015;38:885-90
9) Haribabu A, Reddy VS, Pallavi Ch, Bitla AR, Sachan A, Pulliah P, Suresh V, Rao PV. Evaluation of protein oxidation and its association with lipid peroxidation and thyrotropin levels in overt and subclinical hypothyroidism. Endocrine 2013; 44 : 152-7.
10) Tejovathi B, Suchitra MM, Suresh V, Reddy VS, Sachan A, Srinivas Rao PV, Bitla AR. Association of lipid peroxidation with endothelial dysfunction in patients with overt hypothyroidism. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2013; 121:306-9.
11) Shivakrishna G, Varikasavu SR, Bitla AR, Sachan A, Suresh V, Lalitha DS, Srinivasarao PVLN, Suchitra MM. Evaluation of Dyslipidemia, Lipid ratios, and Atherogenic Index as cardiovascular risk factors in overt and subclinical hypothyroid patients. Natnl J Lab Med 2013; 2: 11-15
12) Reddy VS,Gouroju S, Suchitra MM, Suresh V, Sachan A, Srinivasa Rao PV, Bitla AR. Antioxidant defense in overt and subclinical hypothyroidism.Horm Metab Res.2013; 45: 754-8.
13) Sunil E, Rajitha D,Raja Gopal G,Satish P, Suresh V, Lakshmi P, Suchitra MM, Phaneendra BV, Sachan A. Sheehan’s Syndrome – A Single centre Experience. J Clin Sci Res 2013; 2 : 16-21.
14) Rajagopal G, Reddy AP, Harinarayan CV, Suresh V, Bitla R, Rao PVLNS, Sachan A. Effect of Lifestyle modification and metformin therapy on emerging cardiovascular risk factors in overweight Indian women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2012;10: 273-9.
15) Amaresh Reddy P, Harinarayan CV, Suresh V, Rajagopal G, Krishna Tilak T, Suchitra MM, Srinivasa Rao PVLN, Sachan A. Effect of block replacement regimen on bone mineral density and biochemical markers in patients with thyrotoxic bone disease. J ClinSci Res 2012; 1: 60-9
16) Reddy PA, Suresh V, Rajagopal G, Harinarayan CV, Raj N, Sachan A. Prevalence of thyroid autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Thyroid Res Pract 2011; 8 : 7-11.
17) Reddy AP, Rajagopal G, Harinarayan CV, Vanaja V, Rajasekhar D, Suresh V, Sachan A.High prevalence of Associated Birth Defects in Congenital Hypothyroidism. J Pediatr Endocrinol 2010; 2010 : 940980
18) Pola P, Kumar R, Reddy AP, Rajagopal G, Harinarayan V, Suresh V, Suchira MM, Sachan A.Efficacy of Low Dose Atorvastatin in Diabetic Dyslipidemia. J Indian Med Assoc.2009; 107: 807-9.
19) Advani A, Vaikkakara S, Gill MS, Arun CS, Pearce SH, Ball SG, James RA, Lennard TW, Bliss RD, Quinton R, Johnson SJ. Impact of standardized reporting in adrenocortical carcinoma: a single centre clinicopathological review Clin Pathol 2008; 61:934-44
20) Sutherland A, Davies J, Owen CJ, Vaikkakara S, Walker C, Cheetham TD, James RA, Perros P, Donaldson PT, Cordell HJ, Quinton R, Pearce SHS. Genomic polymorphism at the interferon –induced helicase (IFIH1) locus contributes to Graves’ disease susceptibility. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 3338-41.
21) Bhansali A, Bhadada S,Sharma A, Suresh V, Gupta A, Singh P, Chakrabarti A, Dash RJ. Presentation and outcome of rhino-orbital- cerebral mucormycosis in patients with diabetes. Postgraduate Med J 2004; 80 :670-4.
22) Sharma SK, Suresh V, Mohan A, Kaur P, Shah P, Kumar A, Pande JN. A prospective study of sensitivity and specificity of adenosine deaminase estimation in the diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusion.Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2001; 43: 149-55.
Case Reports , Correspondences, Special Features : n=18
1) Krishnaja KS, Rallapeta RP, Shaik M, Manthri R, Vaikkakara S , Kalawat TC. Papillary carcinoma Thyroid Metastasis presenting as Thyrotoxicosis Post Thyroidectomy – A Case Report. Indian J Nucl Med 2019; 34 :134-36
2) Patnaik R, Suresh V, Jena A, Mdhu K, Phaneendra BV, Reddy V.The maladies of malabsorption. J Pediatr Neurosci 2016;11: 74-6.
3) Jena A, Patnayak R, Suresh V, Sachan A, Vijaylaxmi B, Manilala B. Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia-2A – revisited. Clin Cancer Investig J 2016; 5: 52-5
4) Amaresh Reddy P, Alok S, Suresh V.Osteoporosis and vertebral compression fractures as a presenting feature of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Endocrinol Diab Obes 2014; 2: 1021.
5) Srinivasa Rao C, Suresh V, Sangeetha S, Rukmangadha N. Breast tumour in a male with complete androgen insensitivity. J Clin Sci Res 2016; 5 : 144-5.
6) Aruna S, Suchitra MM, Suresh V. Adenosine deaminase activity in type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Sci Res 2017; 6:254-6.
7) Ashok V. Suresh V, Sachan A, Vengamma B, Bitla AR, Shalini P, Praveen Kumar G, Bharath B, Sugali RN, Kumar EGTV. Iatrogenic hypercalcemia in an elderly lady. J Clin Sci Res 2017; 6 : 121-4.
8) Krishna Mohan VS, Narayan ML, Mukka A, Bachimanchi B, Chowhan AK, Devi BV, Vakkakara S, Sachan A.Atypical Parathyroid Adenoma with Multiple Brown tumours as Initial Presentation: A Rare Entity. Indian J Nucl Med 2017; 32: 133-6.
9) Patnayak R, Suresh V, Jena A, Rajagopal G, Vijaylakshmi B Reddy AP., Rukmangadha M, Sachan A. Swyer Syndrome : A case Report with Literature Review. J Nepal Med assoc. 2012; 52 : 72-4
10) Advani A, Johnson SJ, Nicol MR, Papacleovoulou G, Evans DB, Vaikkakara S, Mason JI, Quinton R. Adult Onset Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism caused by aberrant expression of aromatase in adrenocortical adenocarcinoma . Endocr J. 2010; 57: 651-6.
11) Amaresh Reddy P, Harinarayan CV, Suresh V, Jena A, Chandrasekhar SLM et al.An Unusual Case of Virilizing Ovarian Tumour associated with Carcinoma insitu of Cervix. Int J Endocrinol Metab.2009 ; 7: 255-58
12) Reddy PA, Harinarayna CV, Suresh V, Jena A, Reddy M, Kalwat T, , Moorthy M, Vittal S, Sachan A.Can diabetes associated with hyperparathyroidism be an additional indication for parathyroidectomy ? A case report. Int J Endocrinol Metab 2009; 7 : 208-11
13) Vaikkakara S, James RA, Pearce SH, Talks SJ.A Second Corneal Arcus ? Postgrad Med J 2007; 83: 153.
14) Bhansali A, Kotwal N, Suresh V, Murlidharan R, Chattopadhyay A, Mathur K. Polyglandular autoimmune syndrome type 1 without chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis in a 16 year – old male. Pediatric Endocrinol Metab 2003; 16: 103-5
15) Suresh V, Bhansali A, Shridhar C, Dash RJ.Pulmonary mucormycosis presenting with recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy. J Assoc Physicians India.2003; 51: 912-13
16) Bhansali A, Suresh V, Chaudhary D, Vaiphei K, Dash RJ, Kotwal N.Diabetes and Rapidly Advancing Pneumonia. Postgrad Med J 2001; 77 : 743-5, 740-1
17) Handa R, Aggarwal P, Gupta K, Wali JP, Wig N, Sharma R, Biswas A, Sharma S, Suresh V.Spontaneous Recovery in Polyarteritis Nodosa. J Clin Rheum 1998; 4: 347- 349
18) Handa R, Wig N, Aggarwal P, Suresh V, Biswas A, Wali JP. Halofantrine in G-6- PD deficiency. J Assoc Physicians India 1997; 45 : 899.
1) Srinivasa Rao C, Suresh V, Sachan A. Subclinical hypothyroidism- when to treat ? J Clin sci Res 2014;3 : 81-84.
2) Suresh V, Ravikumar TS. Role of Accreditation and Ranking in Medical education. J Clin Sci Res2019;8 :85-86.
Review Articles :
1) Chaitanya PSK, Suresh V, Mohan A, Sachan A. Respiratory dysfunction in hypothyroidism. J Clin Sci Res 2019; 8: 89-94.
2) Reddy PA, Harinarayan CV, Sachan A, Suresh V, Rajagopal G. Bone Disease in Thyrotoxicosis. Indian J Med Res. 2012; 135: 277-86.