- Faculty and staff:
|Name of faculty
||Dr. V. Mangayarkarasi, MD, PhD
||Additional Professor & HOD
||Dr. A. Mohan Kumar, MD
||Dr. Debabrata Dash, MD
And two Senior Residents, technicians’ team and supporting staff.
- Brief Introduction of the department:
2019 has been a fascinating year for the Department of Microbiology as it was strengthened with the recruitment of regular faculties and also with the inauguration of new laboratory in the OPD building. We have also initiated the academic, research and training programs for MBBS undergraduates (3rd 4th and 5th semester) and inter and intra department faculty.
Patient care diagnostic facilities in Out Patient laboratory are streamlined and carrying out with at most attention. Hospital infection control committee was constituted and the department of microbiology was given the prime role is instituting the Hospital Infection Control (HIC), Bio-medical waste management and CSSD department services
Highlights of the Department:
- Proposal submitted for Establishment of Viral Research & Diagnostic Laboratory (VRDL) – Regional Level” Extramural – Department of Health Research (DHR) Rs.15.00 crores
- V. Mangayarkarasi and Dr. A. Mohan Kumar were deputed to VRDL laboratory in Government Siddhartha Medical College, Vijayawada for support in COVID-19 diagnostic testing in March-April 2020
- Prepared two pamphlets “Public awareness” and “Information for Health Professionals” for COVID-19 awareness in English and Tamil language
- Prepared pamphlet for Infection Prevention and Control at Office – Information for Health Professionals
- COVID-19 Awareness talk was given in All India Radio, Vijayawada
- Biomedical waste management, Hand washing technique and Standard precautions to 1st MBBS students as a part of foundation course held in AIIMS Mangalagiri from 05-09-2019 to 14-09-2019
- Members in the team under the head of president, AIIMS, Mangalagiri Community health program – CPR (Cardio pulmonary Resuscitation) Community health program -“Empowering friends and families” as a part of induction day
- Conducted OSPE stations in the subject Microbiology for the recruitment nursing officer skill test held on 14th and 15th of November 2019
- Organized sports day event celebration at AIIMS Mangalagiri on 30-11-2019 and 01-12-2019
- Organized as member in Media/Publicity/Invitation committee for the Induction ceremony on 04th Sep 2019 of 1st year MBBS 2019-20: second batch at AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- BMW training program for Doctors, Nursing staff, Housekeeping staff, MTS on 11/04/2019 and 12/04/2019
- Training of Housekeeping and MTS for Needle stick injury dated 29/05/2019
III. Departmental Mission, Vision and Core Values:
It is the mission of Department of Microbiology to advance health in the state, there by extent to National level and beyond by promoting innovation and excellence in Medical/Clinical Microbiology undergraduate education for M.B.B.S students, research and patient care.
Department of microbiology will lead the transformation of health care through quality diagnosis, Patient care services, training in an infection control and prevention, innovation and education and make AIIMS Mangalagiri, Andhra Pradesh one of the Nation’s best quality patient care institutions.
- Excellence that is reflected in the innovative conduct and advancement of education through competency-based education for undergraduate students and making them to competent in diagnosis and management of common infectious diseases in the community
- Be competent to practice preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative medicine in respect to the commonly encountered health problems by learning must know areas of infectious and inflammatory diseases.
- Possess the attitude for continued self-learning and to seek further expertise or to pursue research in any chosen area in medical Microbiology, action research and documentation skills.
- Be familiar with the basic factors which are essential for the implementation of the National Health Programs including practical aspects of the following:
- National TB Elimination Program;
- Integrated Counseling and Testing Center for HIV infection-ICTC
- Pandemic Infection Diagnosis and Management-COVID-19
- Viral Research and Diagnostic Laboratory- VRDL
- Hospital Infection control
- Antibiotic policy
- Bio Medical Waste management
- Teaching Integrity that embraces the very highest standards of ethical behavior and exemplary moral character through cooperation that is manifested by collegial communication, integrated teaching, inter/intra departmental collaboration and participation in national level education events.
- Acquire basic management skills in the area laboratory investigations of Systemic infections, Immunology, sexually transmitted infections, Zoonotic diseases and the interpretation of the above test results.
- Demonstration of correct procedures of sample collections for investigations and various microbiological techniques in mannequins.
- Develop skills in identifying community health problems and learn to work to resolve these by designing, instituting corrective steps and evaluating outcome of such measures.
- Be able to work as a leading partner in health care teams and acquire proficiency in communication skills and competent to work in a variety of health care settings.
- Have personal characteristics and attitudes required for professional life including personal integrity, sense of responsibility and dependability and ability to relate to or show concern for other individuals.
Different teaching modalities are utilized to teach students like large group teaching, flipped classes, group discussion, Video Demonstration, DOAP (Demonstration, Observation, Assistance and Performance) and Case scenario discussion. Students seminar activity was conducted in Department of Microbiology.
First prize – Oral presentation State level conference conducted on 14th and 15th of September 2019 Indian association of Pathologists and Microbiologists (IAPM)
Best poster presentation in Medical Education in INDO-UK Hull University International conference in 2019
Best faculty award Andhra Pradesh for the year 2019 4th Academic brand awards (EET CRS) on 20th October 2019 Research wing for excellence in professional education and industry, New Delhi
HOD, as a Research supervisor / PhD guide, organized viva voce examination viva voce examination for a PhD scholar for research done on the topics, “Nano TB drugs”, “Vulvovaginal Candidiasis” and “Rapid diagnosis of Neonatal Sepsis” on 12th November 2019 University Grant Commission
- Viral Research Diagnostic Laboratory:
Date of ICMR approval for COVID-19 Diagnostic Laboratory :9th June 2020.
Date of commencement of COVID-19 Diagnostic Laboratory 18th June 2020.
Total number of tests crossed 6000 tests.
- Recent Publications:
Kanishka H.D., Mangayarkarasi. V and Maitrayee. S. Resistant non-albicans Candida species are emerging as a threat to antenatal women with vulvovaginal candidiasis. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal. 2019; 12(3):1369-1378
Kanishka H.D., Mangayarkarasi. V and Maitrayee. S. Genotypic Patterns of Secreted Aspartyl Proteinase Gene in Various Candida Species Isolated from Antenatal Women with Vulvovaginal Candidiasis. Journal of Pure & Applied Microbiology. 2019; 13(2):803-813.
Kanishka H.D., Mangayarkarasi. V and Maitrayee. S. Biofilm production of Candida species isolated from antenatal women with vulvovaginal candidiasis. International Journal of Pharma & Bio Sciences. 2019 Apr; 10(3):36-41.
Swarna, S. R., Sivagurunathan, S., Bharathi, T., Mohan Kumar A., Lavanya, M., & Jeyakumari, D. Diphtheria in adult – A case report. Indian Journal of Case Reports, 6(4), 160-162.
Two days’ workshop on Teaching, Training & Testing of SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR was organized on 31st July and 1st August 2020 with following topics.
- Sign in with Sample collection – Dr. Satvinder Singh Bakshi,
- Strategy and Steps – Dr. A. Mohan Kumar,
III. Sign off with Interpretation – Dr. V. Mangayarkarasi
Seven faculty members from various departments Microbiology SR, Biochemistry Tutor, Pathology, Anatomy, Dentistry and Orthopedics Assistant Professors were trained in the molecular workshop.
VIII. Mock drill for COVID-19 Diagnosis and Management:
Mock drill to the infection control team, doctors, nurses, lab technicians, and biomedical waste management team of AIIMS Mangalagiri on 20.02.2020. Department of Microbiology, CFM and Medicine.
Novel Corona Virus – CME on 05/Feb/2020 at Conference hall first floor, OPD building, AIIMS campus Dept. of CFM, Medicine and Microbiology
Action plan to infection control team, doctors, nurses, lab technicians, and biomedical waste management team of AIIMS Mangalagiri on 25.03.2020 Department of Microbiology, CFM and Medicine
Published E-magazine for Patient safety and health care worker safety in COVID-19 diagnostic process.
- Research Projects, Institutional and multi-institutional:
- Integrated Research and Patient Safety (IRAPS) project on development of COVID-19 Lab information system and training and Participation in Diagnostic safety in radiodiagnosis/Mammography
- Mock Drill with Simulated Patient Environment for Respiratory Infection Outbreak Management in a Hospital.
- SARS-CoV-2 disease outbreak and the clinical profile and the outcome of RT-PCR test in two districts of Andhra Pradesh, South India
- Study on the Genomic Sequencing and characterization of SARS-CoV-2 strains detected by RT-PCR in patients from two prime Districts of Andhra Pradesh, South India -A Study at AIIMS Mangalagiri, Andhra Pradesh, South India.
- Comparative study on Nasal, Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal swabs, and the outcome of RT-PCR test in patients with mild symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 -A Study at AIIMS Mangalagiri, Andhra Pradesh, South India.
- Multi-Institutional: COVID-19 pandemic studies on Clinical trial drug intervention, epidemic outbreak of epilepsy in Eluru, A.P and post vaccination immune response.
XII. Participation of faculty in Various Institutional Committees and ICMR:
- ICMR – Nodal Officer VRDL COVID-19 Diagnosis
- Member secretary of institutional ethics committee (IEC) of AIIMS Mangalagiri
- Chairperson for Sports committee of AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Chairperson for Residential allotment committee of AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Member of Hospital infection control committee, AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Member of Annual report committee, AIIMS Mangalagiri
- Member of anti-ragging committee of AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Nodal officer for Government e-Marketplace (GeM) Procurement, AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Nominated member for HITES equipment procurement, AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Nominated member of Technical specification and Evaluation Committee, AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Liaison officer for OBC, Welfare Cell, AIIMS, Mangalagiri
- Nodal faculty member for content and development of new website, AIIMS, Mangalagiri